Working with Children with Special Needs: Introduction to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
28 May 2019
28 May 2019
Social Service Institute
|Name||Fee (Excludes GST)||Fee (Includes GST)|
|Course Fee (Before Funding)||$ 500.00||$ 535.00|
|Nett Fee (after SSG funding)||$ 50.00||$ 53.50|
This module introduces the learner to the characteristics, descriptions and diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children. Learner will get to learn and apply appropriate strategies to enable positive behaviours for a child with ADHD in learning and social situations.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
1) Describe the characteristics of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder and its sub-types.
2) Explain the effects of ADHD on learning, socio-emotional development and daily living.
3) Explain the multi-modal approach to teaching a child with ADHD.
4) Suggest strategies to enable positive behaviours for a child with ADHD in learning and social situations.
Target audience includes teachers, therapists, psychologists, social workers and other professionals working in preschools, special schools, Integrated Child Care Centres (ICCC) or other children centres.
The skills and knowledge for this course, which the learner is assumed to possess, are as follows:
- Be able to listen and speak English at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System Workplace Literacy (WPL) Level 6
- Be able to read and write English at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System Workplace Literacy (WPL) Level 6
- Be able to use numeracy skills equivalent to the Employability Skills System Workplace Numeracy (WPN) Level 6
Ms Faridah Ali Chang is a principal trainer and consultant with Rainbow Centre Training and Consultancy (RCTC) and is a registered psychologist (Singapore). She trains and consults locally and regionally, with more than 18 years of experience in teaching and managing children with special needs and conducting formal/informal assessments for learning and behaviour intervention. Ms Chang has also presented on various topics on disabilities at local and overseas conferences and seminars.
Ms Chang is certified in the Treatment & Education of Autistic and other related Communication handicapped Children (TEACCH) Level 1, Orton-Gillingham approach for children with Dyslexia, the Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R) and is also a certified MBTI practitioner. Her graduate research focused on the quality of life of adults with special needs in Singapore, especially those with multiple disabilities.
This course includes assessment components.
Assessment may be conducted during and/or after the course. As there is an assessment component for this course, grading and processing of results can only take place after course completion. Learners who pass the assessment(s) will be awarded with an electronic Certificate of Achievement from SSI. You will receive an email notification when your e-Cert is ready for download in your NCSS e-Services account.
E-mode of delivery:
• Learners will receive online access to courseware instead of printed materials
• Learners will complete an online course evaluation and receive e-certificate
SSG funding is available for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents only.
VCF funding is available for foreigners who are staff of member VWOs of NCSS via Direct Training Application.
Terms and conditions apply.
MOKTI Rahayu / Rahayu_MOKTI@ncss.gov.sg / 65895558